Fatma Tanis
๐ค SpeakerAppearances Over Time
Podcast Appearances
The agency's nearly 900 remaining staff received an email saying they would get reduction in force notices and would have to leave their jobs either by July 1st or September 2nd of this year. The email was sent by Jeremy Lewin, who's running the hobbled agency after the administration cancelled thousands of its programs and shrunk the majority of its workforce.
Lewin said staff would be given an option to take leave, but many would be required to stay on to complete the drawing down of operations at USAID, and the transfer of remaining programs to the State Department. In a statement, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, USAID strayed from its original mission long ago. As a result, the gains were too few and the costs were too high.
Lewin said staff would be given an option to take leave, but many would be required to stay on to complete the drawing down of operations at USAID, and the transfer of remaining programs to the State Department. In a statement, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, USAID strayed from its original mission long ago. As a result, the gains were too few and the costs were too high.
Officials with the United Nations Program on HIV-AIDS said the sudden withdrawal of U.S. support was having a, quote, devastating effect. UNAIDS Executive Director Winnie Biannima said on Monday... that the cuts had led to closures of clinics in many African countries and severe shortages of life-saving HIV medications.
Officials with the United Nations Program on HIV-AIDS said the sudden withdrawal of U.S. support was having a, quote, devastating effect. UNAIDS Executive Director Winnie Biannima said on Monday... that the cuts had led to closures of clinics in many African countries and severe shortages of life-saving HIV medications.
Bian Yima warned that the cuts would lead to 2,000 new infections each day and over 6 million deaths over the next four years. We'll see it come back and we'll see people dying. the way we saw them in the 90s and in the 2000s. Until the Trump administration's pause on foreign aid, the U.S. had been the biggest funder of HIV treatment and prevention around the world. Fatma Tanis, NPR News.
Bian Yima warned that the cuts would lead to 2,000 new infections each day and over 6 million deaths over the next four years. We'll see it come back and we'll see people dying. the way we saw them in the 90s and in the 2000s. Until the Trump administration's pause on foreign aid, the U.S. had been the biggest funder of HIV treatment and prevention around the world. Fatma Tanis, NPR News.
So a couple dozen USAID employees and contractors sued Elon Musk and Doge, saying that their actions to dismantle the agency were reckless, they were done in a slash and burn manner, and that Musk and Doge didn't have the authority because Musk is not an appointed agency head who wasn't confirmed by the Senate.
So a couple dozen USAID employees and contractors sued Elon Musk and Doge, saying that their actions to dismantle the agency were reckless, they were done in a slash and burn manner, and that Musk and Doge didn't have the authority because Musk is not an appointed agency head who wasn't confirmed by the Senate.
So a couple dozen USAID employees and contractors sued Elon Musk and Doge, saying that their actions to dismantle the agency were reckless, they were done in a slash and burn manner, and that Musk and Doge didn't have the authority because Musk is not an appointed agency head who wasn't confirmed by the Senate.
Now, this case is one of several other ongoing lawsuits around the dismantling of USAID, and it stands out because it directly sued Elon Musk and Doge, whereas other lawsuits have named President Trump and senior officials as well. The defense argued that Musk and Doge were only advising USAID officials and that the agency's leaders were actually responsible for what happened.
Now, this case is one of several other ongoing lawsuits around the dismantling of USAID, and it stands out because it directly sued Elon Musk and Doge, whereas other lawsuits have named President Trump and senior officials as well. The defense argued that Musk and Doge were only advising USAID officials and that the agency's leaders were actually responsible for what happened.
Now, this case is one of several other ongoing lawsuits around the dismantling of USAID, and it stands out because it directly sued Elon Musk and Doge, whereas other lawsuits have named President Trump and senior officials as well. The defense argued that Musk and Doge were only advising USAID officials and that the agency's leaders were actually responsible for what happened.
Yeah, he didn't buy it. Judge Theodore Chuang wrote a 68-page opinion detailing why. He said that the evidence showed that, quote, Musk made the decisions to shut down USAID's headquarters and website, even though he lacked the authority to make that decision.
Yeah, he didn't buy it. Judge Theodore Chuang wrote a 68-page opinion detailing why. He said that the evidence showed that, quote, Musk made the decisions to shut down USAID's headquarters and website, even though he lacked the authority to make that decision.
Yeah, he didn't buy it. Judge Theodore Chuang wrote a 68-page opinion detailing why. He said that the evidence showed that, quote, Musk made the decisions to shut down USAID's headquarters and website, even though he lacked the authority to make that decision.
He said that Musk and Doge team members likely violated the Constitution in multiple ways and deprived Congress of its authority to decide what to do with an agency that it created.
He said that Musk and Doge team members likely violated the Constitution in multiple ways and deprived Congress of its authority to decide what to do with an agency that it created.